Friday, June 13, 2008

moovs

I'm bumming a ride out vegas next weekend from either my friends or my coworkers. im stoked on seeing everyone.

been surfing a little here and there. mostly work and finished with my easy semester.

thats about it. i've seen a ton of movies in the last few weeks as well.



Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull or something
B
I've never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies. Most of the people I've talked to about this movie were die hard fans of the series and the general consensus was that it was unrealistic and corny. I thought it was fun though. A good popcorn movie. I wasn't expecting a Dr. Jones documentary on the History Channel so aliens and nuclear explosions were very satisfying.

Gone Baby Gone
A-
I like how it's set in Boston. It has great cinematography and even though I've never been to the city, I think Ben Affleck captured it well much like they did in Good Will Hunting. The question the story asks of the viewer is a tough one to answer, skewing the viewer's perspective on who the real antagonist turns out to be. The opening sequence of the movie was my favorite part. The only thing that I didn't like was how it felt like it ended three times in different parts. I would wait for the credits and then sit through another thirty minutes of movie. Definitely one I would own.

American Gangster
C
I thought this movie was directed by the same person who directed Training Day but I might be wrong. Maybe it's just because it has Denzel Washington in it as a bad guy. I loved Training Day, this one was nowhere near as good. Typical mafia type story. Newjack kills some people, sells some drugs, turns on everyone and then gets busted. If you're into this sort of thing, I'd recommend watching Scarface again. That way you don't have to listen to Russel Crowe for two hours. "Tuggah, I love me a good foight!"

Lars and the Real Girl
No grade
I started watching this at my friends house but fell asleep like twenty minutes into it. It's about this guy who's a shut in and cant socialize with other people so he orders a mannequin online and pretends it's his girlfriend. The story is about how the town reacts to it and eventually starts to treat his doll as if it were a real person. It's hard to explain without actually having watched the whole thing and I don't think I'm doing it very much justice right now. Basically I thought it was going to be a mushy chick flick with the doll as just part of the story, but I think it's neat that they made the whole movie simply about him and his doll.

Point Break
A
I cant believe it's taken me all this time to finally watch this movie the entire way through. 7.50 at Walmart. Keanu is an FBI agent on assignment to catch a band of surfer bank robbers. In order to catch them, he has to learn how to surf and infiltrate their group. Sounds cheesy huh? It is, and it's great. But it's not so corny that you don't like it. It's corny like, "yeaaaa, that's sooooo 90's." I've always liked how the bank robbers wear rubber president's masks too. It's a sweet action movie with surfing in it, cant go wrong with me. An added note, an old friend band of Code Brown, Wester, wrote a song a while ago using only lines from the movie as lyrics. I was catching them the whole time I watched it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your movie reviews. First comment: don't go guying Gone Baby Gone in the next year or anything...it might be a good birthday/Christmas present idea. Second comment: Your review of American Gangster was hilarious. Ha! I'm glad that you reviewed it because Daniel wanted to see it and I didn't, so now I have backup as to why we shouldn't rent it.

Hope you have a good time in Vegas! I'm bummed that we'll miss you in California though. Love you.

Unknown said...

Yeah, like Heidi said...thanks for saving my time with American Gangster! I kinda want to check out Point Break now :) I don't remember it coming out, but the president masks sound familiar. I know I haven't seen it though. Enjoy Vegas! Hope its not TOO hot while you're there. Catch you later sometime. Take it easy...

Unknown said...

i forgot Heidi was signed into this computer, so this post, and the last one are from me, Daniel :) haha