Friday, February 1, 2008

a little update just before daybreak

it's been raining a LOT down here for the last week or so. I normally love rain and completely revel in it once it comes. But lots of rain also means no surfing. Especially afterwards since runoff is so bad. Especially with all of the residue left from the fires now running off into the ocean, it's just not a good idea. It's been almost two weeks of no surfing for me and I'm about to break. So I'm going this morning. But I thought I would post a quick update.

I uploaded two new recordings to my personal music myspace. The first is an acoustic version of the old Code Brown song "Kids". It was my favorite song we wrote and I'm still sometimes shocked by how well it was composed for our age and inexperience in music. The lyrics were probably the strongest and closest to paralleling what we were going through at the time (drinking, drugs, high school, etc.) I've been bugging Alex and Devin to take the time to go re-record it somewhere and polish it up with everything we didn't know how to add when we were younger (harmonies, lead parts, etc) but they've never really been too into it. So I just recorded it on my own with an acoustic guitar. Sure enough, as soon as they heard they both called me about when a good time to jam would be haha.

The second is a song I wrote a couple months ago called "They're Coming to Get You, Barbara". It's kind of a metal song/punk song. The lyrics and title were completely inspired by the movie Night of the Living Dead. I thought it would be neat to write a song completely around a dramatic situation and see how it turned out. So I wrote about a guy holding back a front door with a horde of zombies trying to break in. He's telling his wife/girlfriend/whatever to hide in the attic and that if he becomes one, to basically put him down. I think it came out pretty well. It took forever creating the synthetic drums on a program but they sound decent, albeit totally on-time and unbelievable. So as a change from the acoustic songs on my page, there is a nifty little metal one up. Devin's new band liked it so much they want me to sing for them. Hmmmm...

www.myspace.com/atransientlight

I picked up my new fish tank two days ago with dad. He bought me a cabinet you would use above a stove from Lowes to use as a stand. I bought a twenty gallon with a filter. I have a TON of other stuff I need to buy before I actually even begin to start putting substrate and live rock in, but it's starting. I'm totally stoked about it and well it's coming so far.











I have a few reviews but I'm running totally behind right now. I'll post more later.




p.s. whatever happened to Doritos 3D chips? they were so much better in the third dimension.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the link to your myspace music page! I really enjoyed the acoustic version of "Kids." I also enjoyed listening to the two other songs you have on there. "A Grand Occasion" was really good. You are so talented, Chad! I love you!

I can't wait to see the fish tank develop. Make sure you keep us up with that with pics and stuff.

Daniel said...

I really enjoyed the music Chad! You've always been one of those people I'm jealous of because you have such an amazingly musical ear and can compose such good things seemingly effortlessly. I don't know if I told you this already, but before we decided to move after I graduated, I was fully intent on starting a band with you once I was done with school and had the time again.
I'm impressed with what you were able to do with just yourself and your computer. When bands remake (or do an acoustic version of a song) I normally like one or the other better. In "Kids" case, I really liked the original, and the acoustic had enough new elements that I like it just as much. Good job! And I liked what you did with the drums on the "they're coming to get you, barbara" track in the breakdown.

I remember that my dad had to get the water all balanced out before he could put anything in there. Its a lot of work, but I hope its very rewarding for you! Did you end up getting a hold of my dad? If you dont have his number but want to ask him something, call me 8018652085 and I can give it to you.

Chad said...

thanks for listening you guys. it would have been awesome to jam with you daniel. maybe sometime in the future i can bring my laptop and acoustic guitar out and we can collaborate for an hour or two.

the levels and cycling of the tank will take a couple weeks/months, i hope it's very rewarding. brad has been helping me out with the tank a little, i'm sure your dad would have lots of useful information on it. if he has an email account, id like to shoot him a few questions or see what kind of advice he has on starting one up.

Daniel said...

that would be fun man! you can email my dad...sidrogers at gmail.com...and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to give you any tips he might have.